Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Have you heard this one before?

Seeing that this evening was really beautiful, Jason and I went for a long walk up and down Spruce Hill. On the last leg of our stroll we were approached by a young woman who appeared to be pregnant and asked us for some money to help her get to Newark. She's pregnant, her boyfriend left her stranded, she has no way to get home and not enough money to buy a $25 dollar bus ticket.
She emphasized that she has nothing to her name and if she did would not be standing in the middle of the street asking for money while pregnant. She doesn't know anyone in Philly and is in no condition to stay in a shelter.

Here's the kicker: we ran into the same exact girl a month ago, a few blocks from home. She told us the exact same story with the same key points. The only difference was that it was raining that day. I suppose that's why she couldn't remember us. Or maybe it's that we look like all the other bozo kids who live in this neighborhood. Who can blame her. In both cases, since I was on a walk, I didn't have my wallet on me. Jason only had a few quarters. I guess seeing that her pregnancy seemed evident, he felt bad and gave her what he had. What's worse is that, even though she said she would take anything, she complained that she was getting change and asked if he didn't at least have a dollar. Although I felt bad for her the first time, I'm not quite sure what to feel now. If she's really truly pregnant, then that's just sad in so many levels. I can't even begin to explain.

No comments: