Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Are you ever too old for videos?

Music videos that is?
In the past couple of weeks I've grown tired of the news. It's actually not a fun way to start your day. Who really wants to be informed? The world sucks and most people in it are shitty people. Tell me something I don't already know.
So, I started adding music videos as part of my morning routine. Like when I was in college. Yeah, I know, kinda pathetic.

I tend to prefer Fuse to the other two channels but still change between commercials. Again, who wants to wake up to that? And I have to say, that while reclaiming my youth (wow, I take myself way too seriously), I feel very very old. OK, I exaggerate, but still. I don't know (and perhaps more so don't care to know) most of today's so called musically talented. As always there are diamonds in the rough. Sadly, I feel that without the video half the songs I like I may not have even payed attention to if it was on the radio. The video completes these particular songs, I feel. Right, video killed the radio star and what not...

One particular video is Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups (who are they?) where these two cute emo kids (girl with very short hair, boy with shaggy long hair) do the eye game where you're looking for the other person all over the bar (in this case) but when they're around you pretend they're not even there or you could care less. Actually, it's the girl that does this (here is where Jason would chime in and ask why girls have to be so cruel). I really like this song, can't seem to get it out of my head, but if it weren't for the emo kids I would have paid no mind.

There's this other video by a band who's name is not worth remembering, much less their song, but I'm hypnotized each time by the frailest of frames on the lead singer. He wears the skinniest of skinny jeans I've ever seen. It's like a wreck I can't stop staring at.

Maybe in a month or two, when the repertoire gets too repetitive, I'll go back to the news and wonder what it was I was thinking.

No comments: