Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Happy Hour at Zocalo


On Friday the lab got together for another of our rather frequent happy hours. We've been a little reluctant to go lately seeing our usual place was not only getting boring but the service is worse and worse by the week. Not to mention, the crowd of Penn students making it difficult for a big group such as our to get a table. No reservation, don't even bother.

So, this time we ventured off to Zocalo. It's a bit of a longer walk (on 36th and Lancaster) but well worth it. Pictured here is the zocalo sangria : white wine + the fruit of the season. In this case it was berries. Honestly, I don't know what's up with me and going to places where I can eat/imbibe things that are so berrylicious. I almost ordered the Pablotini (vodka martini + habanero chilies) but it wasn't at happy hour prices and Jason wasn't around to ensure I got home OK. So, definitely next time.

The appetizers, which like the house drinks were also 25% off, were really great. I ordered/shared the Volcan, a layered dip of refried beans, melted cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. It came with their in-house-made tortilla chips. Delicious! Some one else ordered the Plato Surtido: beef empanada, pico de gallo, and an amazing guacamole. On the other side of the table I saw the much acclaimed Queso Fundido. Although seeing that gooey cheese was more than tempting, I decided I'll leave the mini heart attack for next time. Though, I'll make sure to add the portobello mushrooms and the poblano peppers for extra taste.

Overall, we had a great time. One thing that made a difference is the fact that it was practically empty. Apparently, it's like this most of the time. This has me a bit concerned, for I wouldn't want this venue, recently made known to us, to go out of business. At the same, time the emptiness made it more pleasant for us and the waiting staff was a lot more attentive. I figure it's either one of "powelton village's" best kept secret or most people only associate margaritas and sangrias with summer. Maybe, it's that although their happy hour specials are at a fair price, the same can't readily be said about their dinner menu -- I'm not in the habit of paying close to $18 for enchiladas verdes.

No comments: