Wednesday, August 20, 2008

To Eames or Not To Eames

I'm a bit overwhelmed with how one little thing, like a desire for a rocking chair for Stella's nursery, keeps unfolding into more and more options. Choices are great, don't get me wrong, but they make me a bit dizzy.
I tried out and fell in love with the orange Monte Alto Rocker at GENES in Center City but then died when told that it goes for $795. It was such a comfortable and good looking glider.

Alia used some of her spare time, now that she's in Philly, and found us an Eames-like (I guess the manufacturer doesn't have license to the name) RAR (rocker-armchair-rod) that's very nice on the pocket book and even nicer on the eye. Even though, Jason hates it - clearly, he has no taste - he encouraged me to buy it if it's what I really want.
So, that got me thinking on form vs. function. I was curious to know how other parents faired with this cool but maybe not so comfortable option. I find that the biggest complaint out there is that it provides no support for your shoulders (something you might appreciate during night time feeding) but overall everyone is happy with their choice. I felt though, that a lot of opinions rested more on the fact that this is a design darling and concerns lied more on whether or not to go for the new fiberglass (as it was originally made), the new licensed polypropylene manufactured by Herman Miller, or the vintage.

I conclude that:
1) As nice as it would be, I'm not a purist/collector, or at least my budget doesn't allow it
2) My head hurts
3) I blame Alia for her contagious fixation of all things mid-century-modern

3 comments:

Alia Shields said...

Sorry. I blame Apartment Therapy. But if you decide against that rocker, I just might have to buy it for our livingroon.

va*les*ka said...

I'm just complaining, I guess it's contagious. I do really want it and will probably get it. That shouldn't stop you from getting it too. It won't be the first time we have matching things like shoes and purses.

Alia Shields said...

oh man if it its still on Overstock once I am less poor I am so getting it. I've been obsessing ever since I found it for you!